The six English clubs that have secretly agreed to play in a European Super League (ESL) will pay just over £ 20m to draw a line under their next row with the Premier League.
Sky News has learned that the figure – which equates to an average of around £ 3.5 million per club – will be announced by the top division of English football on Wednesday afternoon.
Sources close to the deal said it also included the prospect of threatening similar violations by Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United or Tottenham in the future.
According to one source, any of these clubs that signed up for a similar project would face a fine of more than £ 20m and a 30-point deduction in the Premier League.
The fines imposed in the Premier League are comparable to those of UEFA, which announced a package of “reintegration measures” for the nine clubs that agreed to leave the ESL during a hot 48-hour period at the end of April.
Including AC Milan, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid, the Big Six have agreed to pay a total of 15 million euros (£ 12.9 million) to be invested in children’s, youth and grassroots football for one Season held back.
They also agreed to far higher fines in the future – totaling 150 million.
Arsenal and Man Utd will have relatively modest European revenues this season as they failed to qualify for the Champions League.
UEFA has not yet announced the season for which the five percent penalty applies.
However, unlike the UEFA fines, the Premier League penalties will be a pure sum of money and not a percentage of next season’s broadcast revenue – an option that has also been debated over the past few weeks.
The final deal is significantly smaller than an initial Premier League proposal last month, which included a £ 15m per club fine and a significant – albeit suspended – point deduction.
However, the Premier League directors reportedly decided that drawing a line as part of the European Super League project was a priority ahead of the league’s annual conference, which began Thursday, and which all 20 clubs attended.
On Wednesday it was unclear whether all six rebel clubs would pay the same amount. They quickly gave up on the ESL project amid a huge backlash from rivals, fans and politicians.
Only Barcelona, Juventus and Real Madrid have yet to formally withdraw from the ESL – which increases the prospect of being excluded from the Champions League next season.
The Premier League announced last month that it had reached an agreement with broadcast partners, including Sky, to extend its existing £ 4.7 billion TV rights deal for a further three years.
In order to prevent future spin-off offers, the Premier League has announced the creation of an “Ownership Charter”, which it believes will be supported by the Football Association.
She recently added that the six clubs’ participation in the ESL “has challenged the foundations and determination of English football”.
The government is likely to welcome the punishment of the six, although it is unclear whether the fines imposed on them will simply be shared among the other 14 top clubs.
Confirmation of the existence of the ESL, six months after Sky News revealed the key details of the project, sparked unprecedented protests against the owners of many of the participating English clubs.
Arsenal has since received an unsolicited tender offer from Spotify billionaire Daniel Ek, while Manchester United’s largest shareholders, the Glazer family, have said they would allow fans to buy shares in the club.
Executives from the six clubs have been removed from several Premier League subcommittees – a move that could be reversed after reaching a financial settlement.
The government, led by former Sports Secretary Tracey Crouch, has commissioned a fan-led review of football governance.
Panelists include the board chairs of Everton and the Football Supporters’ Association.
The Premier League declined to comment.