Team news and stats ahead of Everton v Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday; Kick-off at 12.30 p.m.
Everton Manager Carlo Ancelotti hasn’t ruled out Jordan Pickford resting and starting with Robin Olsen for the visit to Newcastle following the England international’s midweek mistake.
The Toffees boss has occasionally changed goalkeepers this season and has announced that he will do so again in the upcoming games with midweek games to accommodate this.
Abdoulaye Doucoure is back from suspension, Fabian Delph (thigh) has returned to practice with the squad but will not be available while midfielders Allan (thigh) and Jean-Philippe Gbamin (Achilles) are expected to join their teammates next Week.
DeAndre Yedlin could return to Newcastle Squad for the trip to Goodison Park.
The US full-back has missed the last two games because of an issue with his visa, but head coach Steve Bruce believes the issue is now resolved.
Ciaran Clark (ankle) and Paul Dummett (illness) have returned to training but the Merseyside game could come too early for them while fellow defender Federico Fernandez has not fully recovered from the coronavirus and will be absent again.
How do you follow?
Follow Everton vs Newcastle on our dedicated live match blog. The highlights will also be published shortly after the final whistle on the Sky Sports digital platforms and on the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
Jones Knows’ prediction
Newcastle is an easy team to use to create a forecast plan. When Allan Saint-Maximin is fit, take her seriously; if not, find ways to beat her. His midweek introduction against Leeds changed the game. In just 26 minutes with him on the field, the toon had 10 shots on goal and was unlucky enough to get nothing out of the game.
Steve Bruce, whose eleven games without a win is the longest winless run of his managerial career, has ruled out starting with his leading man: “We still have a player or two, Allan for example – we still can’t ask him to Playing 90 minutes because he’s been inactive for eight weeks. “
That leaves the door open for Everton to make hay while Saint-Maximin warms the bench. Carlo Ancelotti has come up with a formula that makes them difficult to play against and they are unbeaten in seven of their last eight Premier League games and have won five. Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored five goals in the last four Premier League games with Newcastle and will appreciate his chances of ending the drought in six games.
Instead of taking the 11/20 for an away win, those who like a little more juice should take note of the 11/10 for Everton to win at halftime.
JONES KNOWS PREDICTS: 2-1 (10/1 with Sky Bet)
Also watch out: Everton wins at halftime (11/10 with Sky Bet)
Go for statistics
- Everton have lost one of their last 16 Premier League home games to Newcastle (W10 D5), a 1-0 defeat in September 2010.
- Newcastle United have not recorded a Premier League double against Everton under Bobby Robson since the 2001/02 season and have won 3-1 away and 6-2 at home this season.
- At the Premier League meeting between Everton and Newcastle at Goodison Park last season, Florian Lejeune scored two goals in the 90th minute to give the Magpies a 2-2 draw since April 2001 – Gustavo Poyet for Chelsea against Derby County .
- Everton have only lost one of their last eight Premier League games (W5 D2) and lost 1-0 to West Ham on New Years Day.
- Newcastle have lost their last five Premier League away games and have not scored in any of their last four games. They last lost six times in a row in April 2016 (a run of 9), while the last time they lost five times in a row in May 2015 without scoring a goal – both runs included 3-0 defeats at Everton.
- No Premier League team is currently longer without a win than Newcastle (9), while the Magpies run is also the longest in the division, with five defeats in a row.
- In the first nine Premier League games this season, Everton conceded 16 goals from 42 shots on goal (38%) and was extradited seven times at least twice. In the last nine games, the Toffees conceded only six goals from 32 shots on goal (19%) and never more than once in a game this run.
- Only four of Newcastle’s 19 Premier League goals this season were scored in the first half of the games, both in league and as a percentage (21%).
- Newcastle had 22 shots (5 on target) in their 2-1 loss to Leeds last time, the most in a Premier League game this season. In fact, it was more than the magpies had managed together in their last three league games (18, also 5 at the goal).
- Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored five goals in each of his last four Premier League games against Newcastle. The last player to score in five consecutive games against the Magpies was Sergio Agüero between 2013 and 2016.
Pitch to Post Preview – Arsenal build up against Man Utd as well as: Man City’s title fight, Liverpool’s return to form and problems for Tottenham
In this week Pitch to Post Preview Podcast Sky Sports Expert Jamie Redknapp joins Peter Smith to look at the big clash on Saturday night arsenal and Manchester Unitedand passes on his judgment Emile Smith Rowe, Martin Odegaard – and why Man Utd slipped against Sheffield United.
We also get the inside story Man CityTitle tracking by Sky Sports News Reporter Ben ransomexplaining how a city star was transformed from pep GuardiolaMethods this season.
And Sky Sports Feature Writer Adam Bate reflected on Liverpools much needed victory at Tottenham – and the injuries sustained that could hit both sides. He’s also pitching what will happen in the next round of Premier League games …
Listen to the Sky Sports Pitch to Post Podcasts: Spotify | Apple | Castbox