Team news, stats and predictions ahead of Leeds v Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday (kick-off at 12.30pm).
Leeds Midfielder Jamie Shackleton is back in competition for Saturday’s home game against Chelsea.
Shackleton is fit again after missing the last three games due to a groin strain and is expected to join the squad.
Kalvin Phillips and Rodrigo were unharmed after returning from injury in the West Ham loss on Monday night, but Pascal Struijk (knocking) and Pablo Hernandez (pulled muscle) are still unavailable.
Tammy Abraham will miss it Chelsea with persistent ankle problems. The striker has been struggling to shake off his ankle problems for a few weeks now and will no longer appear on Elland Road.
Thiago Silva is also out, with a repeat of his recent hamstring injury.
How do you follow?
Follow Leeds vs Chelsea on our dedicated live match blog. The highlights will also be published shortly after the final whistle on the Sky Sports digital platforms and on the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
Jones knows prediction
I’m always careful with Leeds versus the big boys.
Marcelo Bielsa’s team have not beaten a “Big Six” opponent in seven Premier League games (D2, L5) this season – nine goals and 21 goals against (16 goals against in the last four games). Leeds has also averaged 16.3 shots per Premier League game against the teams currently in the top 10 this season (245 in 15 games). An away win should be on the cards. Chelsea are unbeaten in eleven games under Thomas Tuchel in all competitions, have won eight games and conceded only two goals.
Tuchel has proven difficult when it comes to team selection. Hence, it is difficult to make a choice in a player-centric market. However, Mason Mount is someone I would like to endorse in the Shots device market.
Since Tuchel took command, Mount has averaged 2.9 shots per 90 minutes in a much more advanced role supporting the center forward. It’s an average that puts him in and around players like Kevin De Bruyne, Mohamed Salah and James Maddison when it comes to getting shots off.
Twenty-one players have managed to get off four or more shots in a game against Leeds this season as their open football philosophy allows players like Mount to get into central shooting positions. Attacking midfielders like De Bruyne, Bruno Fernandes, Jonjo Shelvey and Said Benrahma have managed to get off four or more shots in a game against Leeds this season. Mount can add his name to this list, with Sky Bet offering 2/1.
JONES KNOWS PREDICTS: 1-3
COMPETITION ANGLE: Mason Mount for four or more shots (2/1 with Sky Bet)
Last time …
Pitch to Post Preview – Construction of the North London Derby; plus Diallo’s immediate impact and how do Everton get into a top four team?
In this week Pitch to Post Preview Podcast We direct our attention Arsenal versus TottenhamThe rivals in north London are preparing for the Emirates. Peter Smith is accompanied by Sky Sports football journalists Ben Grounds and Ron Walker to evaluate the big game. The panel reflects positive Europa League victories for both sides, takes into account the possible problems in team selection and which team needs the victory more.
We also hear the latest from the Sky Sports News Reporter Alan Myers on Evertons Slide yourself against the Champions League seats before their tricky test Burnleywhile Ron returns to judge Amad Diallo’s beautiful first goal for Manchester United and the challenge that you have to face on Sunday against an In-Form West Hamwho also have ambitions for the top 4.
Listen to the Sky Sports Pitch To Get Podcasts On: Spotify | Apple | Castbox
Go for statistics
- Leeds have only lost one of their last nine home games in the Premier League to Chelsea (W5 D3). This is the first such game since a 1-1 draw in December 2003.
- Chelsea are looking to secure their first league double against Leeds in the second division since the 1988/89 season, while the Blues last beat Leeds at home and away in 1936/37 in the same season.
- Chelsea won their last away game against Leeds and won a League Cup tie 5-1 in December 2012. They have never before won away games against the Whites in any competition before.
- Of the 48 opponents Chelsea have played 15 or more away in all competitions, the lowest win rate is the Blues versus Leeds (14% – P49 W7 D14 L28).
- Chelsea have lost to a newly promoted team in the last three Premier League seasons (Newcastle 2017-18, Wolves 2018-19, Sheffield United 2019-20). You have never done this in four consecutive campaigns of the competition. You have already moved to West Brom and won at Fulham this season.
- Leeds have lost Premier League games for the fifth time this season, despite not having lost three straight games. You last lost three league games in a row in November 2017.
- Leeds have conceded 29 top division goals in the first half of this season’s Premier League games – four more than Chelsea have conceded this season. However, 61% of Chelsea’s league goals this season fell after the break (27/44), with only Newcastle and Sheffield United gaining a higher percentage in the second half.
- Chelsea have so far won five of their six away games in all competitions under Thomas Tuchel (D1) after losing four of their last five under Frank Lampard (W1).
- Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel is so far unbeaten in his nine Premier League games – only Maurizio Sarri (12) and Frank Clark (11) have had longer runs without defeat since the beginning of their careers in the Premier League.
- Chelsea midfielder Jorginho has scored six Premier League goals this season, all from the penalty spot. Only James Milner in 2016-17 (7) has scored more goals in a Premier League season, all of them are penalties.