Justin Amaluzor scored on his first start at Motherwell when Graham’s side defeated Alexander Annan 2-0 to advance to the second round of the Scottish League Cup.

Raith Rovers, Dundee and Kilmarnock also secured their places in the knockout phase as group winners before the last two group games on Sunday.

Livingston and Arbroath secured two of the top three runners-up available, while Dunfermline also qualified. Hearts, Dundee United and Ayr had already won their groups ahead of Saturday’s games.

Either St. Mirren or Partick Thistle will be the last team to join the Rangers, Celtic, St. Johnstone, Hibernian and Aberdeen European qualifiers in the second round draw on Sunday.

A weekday loss to Lanarkshire rivals left by Airdrie Mother welldoubtful, but Amaluzor calmed the nerves in the 39th minute after a good job from Kaiyne Woolery.

Annan goalkeeper Greg Fleming took on Jake Carroll, Woolery, Ricki Lamie and Kevin Van Veen before Barry Maguire swept a loose ball home in the penalty area in the 56th minute.

Iain Anderson and Amaluzor missed great opportunities on either side before goalkeeper Liam Kelly stopped Owen Moxon’s shot into the top corner with a brilliant left-handed penalty.

Airdrie fell by losing 4-1 to Queen of the South, for which Ally Roy scored a hat trick as Motherwell moved up to the top.

Dundee’s Jason Cummings goes home to make it 5-2

Jason Cummings has met twice when Dundee beat Forfar 5-2 in the Group C decision.

Charlie Adam, Corey Panter and Christie Elliott had Dundee three ahead at halftime and Cummings scored from the penalty spot before restoring Dundee’s three-goal lead after counterattacks by Stefan McCluskey and Grant Anderson. Forfar missed a top spot in second place in terms of goal difference.

Raith defeated on penalties after a goalless draw with Alloa.

LivingstonThe 3-1 win over Cowdenbeath also secured them the qualification. Former Livi striker Liam Buchanan gave Cowdenbeath an early lead at Tony Macaroni Arena, but the hosts were leading at halftime.

Jamie Todd put his own goal through from a corner in the 21st minute and Bruce Anderson shot into the house in the 38th minute after a brilliant ball from Jack Fitzwater. Craig Sibbald rolled in a splendid third place eight minutes into the second period.

The win came at a price as Livi Jackson lost to Longridge and Andrew Shinnie to injuries.

Livingston players congratulate goal scorer Craig Sibbald after scoring against Cowdenbeath

Kilmarnock emerged from a difficult preparation for the season and secured first place in Group G thanks to a 2-1 win over Stranraer.

After losing three points for using a suspended player, Killie needed an injury-time equalizer against Morton mid-week to stay in the competition. The winner from Chris Burke prevailed after Fraser Murray’s kick-off was canceled by Josh Walker.

Arbroath came after two goals behind Kelty Hearts to join Dundee United from Group B.

Kallum Higginbotham and Joe Cardle gave the visitors the lead, but goals from Luke Donnelly and Colin Hamilton equalized before Nicky Low hit the winner off the pitch.

Dunfermline After the Craig Wighton doubles, Kevin O’Hara moved to the top of Group H and Kevin O’Hara won a 4-1 win over Stenhousemuir.

St. Mirren will win the group if they avoid losing to Partick Thistle on Sunday, who has to win by three goals to advance. But the pars are sure they will have the best spot in second place if they are removed from first place.

Hamilton After a 2-2 draw with Lanarkshire rivals Albion Rovers they missed out on a best second place while Stirling After a 3-1 win over Peterhead missed the goal difference.

Eliminated elsewhere Ross County warmed up for their league season by beating Montrose 4-1 thanks to a brace from Blair Spittal and goals from Jordan White and Alex Iacovitti.